Part of the Do'a Iftitah

"Verily my solats, my ibadah, my life and my death I surrender to Almighty Allah, Creator and Lord of all the worlds. Never will I associate anything with Him. So am I commanded and I am of those who are Muslims."

Read N Write Ad

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance
Bringing Muslim Bloggers Together

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Salahuddin Bakery - One of Johor Bahru's Old Town Attractions

















Assalamualaikum dear Brothers & Sisters,

We have returned home here to KL this early morning. I have taken lots of pictures and videos of our recent trip down south to Singapore and our interim stay at Johor Bahru.

Apart from my initial frustrations of observing the lackadaisical attitude of our Malaysian Checkpoint officers @ all three = Immigration, Customs and Police for failing to do their jobs as expected, I managed to discover a hidden and I am sure overlooked part of Johor Bahru that was a delightful part of the obviously and extremely busy JB City, if you call it one?

I came upon the old shops along Jalan Dhoby when I went looking for the JB branch of my bank.

Parking was a real nightmare for the road was very narrow, many inconsiderate motorists just parked as they please and there was even a truck driver who just stopped his truck at the very junction of one of the streets, pulled up his handbrake and went off to deliver his goods to one of the shops without giving a damn about the people in the cars behind him, yours truly included.

I was seething mad and my darling had a hard time pacifying me! If I was a cartoon character, you'd have seen those clouds of steam blowing out of my nostrils and ears!

Hahahahaha! Coba'an!!!

Hehehehehehe....

Damn crazy!

These kind of crazy, idiotic Malaysian drivers can be so very bloody annoying!

I am no longer surprised to sometimes reading about such drivers getting whacked right there and then by those whom they inconvenience on our streets, roads and highways!

Those idiots do deserve getting their brains bashed out! Grrrrrr..........

Enough of that episode. Let's travel through time and marvel at this delightful old bakery still operating the traditional classic way.





































Salahuddin Bakery. A traditional bakery that still operates using the ancient ways of charcoal and wood fuelled fire oven that bakes bread loaves the classic way.
















Simply enchanting I must say! Looking at the traditional oven and smelling the aroma of freshly baked bread just makes one's taste buds go into full drive and makes us go hungry. Hehehehehehe...
















It also made me remember the classical story of the baker and the poor man, where the baker was angry with the poor man who got to sniff and smell the delightful freshly baked bread for free but didn't buy any?
















The baker filed a case against the poor man and in the ensuing trial, the wise judge imposed a punishment to teach the greedy and stingy baker by making him 'listen' to the sound of the gold coins tinging against the stone and cleverly settled the case.

The poor man got to continue sniffing the freshly baked bread and the greedy baker taught a lesson by a wise judge in return.
















This is Rahim Khan, who seems to be the one in charge of Salahuddin Bakery and allowed me to take photos and shoot a video of the work going on there. Nice chap!

Another Pakistani guy preparing 'samosa's in the other compartment asked me to go shoot the video of him and his preparations and I obliged the brother.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive such an overwhelming warm reception from the bakers.

Even though we were strangers to each other, these chaps were very friendly I must say and their openness of their bakery operations augurs well for this classic bakery.
















I am sure that if they keep up their attitude, they will be very successful in their business. Insya Allah.

All my best wishes to Rahim Khan and his associates in Salahuddin Bakery, No.26, Jalan Dhoby, JB.

By the way, each of their bread loaf sells for just RM1.50.

Is that a bargain or what?
Post a Comment