In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Ta'ala Wabarakatuh.
Dear Brothers and Sisters, Fellow Children of the Prophet Adam Alaihis Salam and our Mother Saiyidatina Hawwa Radhiallahu Anha.
Lately some ill informed folks amongst the Penang State Assemblymen especially those from the Barisan Nasional Opposition namely UMNO ADUN's voiced their objection to the Penang Chief Minister Saudara Lim Guan Eng's usage of the `Qur'anic phrase 'Amar Makruf Nahi Mungkar' which I have published before in excerpts from the Revelations of Allah in the Final Testament of Allah to all Mankind @ The Holy Al `Qur'an Al Kareem.
I have received an email from Dr.Mohamed Rafick Khan, a notable fellow blogger who has asked me to explain about the phrase yesterday. Here are the contents of his email.
"Salam Mahaguru zainol
Can you explain the literal meaning of the phrase “Amar Makruf Nahi Mungkar”. Is this an Arabic or urdu phrase. Is it a sentence in the Quran. Can a non muslim allowed to use this phrase. Appreciate your brief and simplest explaination.
Dr Mohamed Rafick Khan bin Abdul Rahman
From my research about the subject, this is what I found in the Holy Qur'an :
104. Waltakun minkum ommatun yadAAoona ila alkhayri waya' muroona bialmaAAroofi wayanhawna AAani almunkari waola-ika humu almuflihoona
104. Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, and forbidding what is wrong: They are the ones to attain felicity.
110. Kuntum khayra ommatin okhrijat lilnnasi ta`muroona bialmaAAroofi watanhawna AAani almunkari watu`minoona biAllahi walaw amana ahlu alkitabi lakana khayran lahum minhumu almu/minoona waaktharuhumu alfasiqoona
110. Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors.
114. Yu/minoona biAllahi waalyawmi al-akhiri waya`muroona bialmaAAroofi wayanhawna AAani almunkari wayusariAAoona fee alkhayrati waola-ika mina alssaliheena
114. They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous.
71. Waalmu`minoona waalmu`minatu baAAduhum awliyao baAAdin ya`muroona bialmaAAroofi wayanhawna AAani almunkari wayuqeemoona alssalata wayu`toona alzzakata wayuteeAAoona Allaha warasoolahu ola-ika sayarhamuhumu Allahu inna Allaha AAazeezun hakeemun
71. The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise.
112. Altta`iboona alAAabidoona alhamidoona alssa`ihoona alrrakiAAoona alssajidoona al`amiroona bialmaAAroofi waalnnahoona AAani almunkari waalhafithoona lihudoodi Allahi wabashshiri almu`mineena
112. Those that turn (to Allah. in repentance; that serve Him, and praise Him; that wander in devotion to the cause of Allah,: that bow down and prostrate themselves in prayer; that enjoin good and forbid evil; and observe the limit set by Allah.- (These do rejoice). So proclaim the glad tidings to the Believers.
There are various other Surah's in The Holy `Qur'an which contains the same Command of Almighty Allah to the Mukmins @ Believers to enjoin good and forbid evil.
Now, to answer Dr.Rafick, the phrase is clearly Arabic in nature. Urdu encompasses a blend of Hindi and Arabic language and is spoken by those in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
He asked whether a Non Muslim can use it?
In the case of Lim Guan Eng, I ask why not?
Guan Eng has every right to enjoin good and forbid evil. He is the Chief Minister of Penang. It is his job to do that.
Doesn't matter that he has yet to be a true Muslim but by Allah, his emulating the righteous Khalifah Umar Abdul Aziz is very noble and I support Guan Eng with all my heart.
Insya Allah, Guan Eng will be a Muslim if Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala Wills him to be!
Those corrupt Muslims in UMNO's Opposition in the Penang State Assembly know nuts about practicing true Islam if they object to Guan Eng's using the phrase and putting it to practice unlike them who have been screwing the nation all these while!
I say 'Yes!'. Non Muslims can and should enjoin the good and forbid evil.
What's the point of some people claiming to be Muslims yet not living their life's as one?
Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala does not need great pretenders like some of those in our Ummah who put up a grand show of being Muslims but act otherwise in their life's.
The argument that a Non Muslim like Lim Guan Eng should not use the phrase 'Amar Makruf Nahi Mungkar' is plainly stupid and unwarranted. Practice what we preach!
Not just be 'Muslims in Name Only'. There are so many out there who crow like a cockerel about 'Islam this and Islam that' but their tail feathers just reek of foul stinking chicken shit like those cockerels of UMNO in the Penang State Assembly.
I am not saying that those from the Pakatan Rakyat are sweet smelling angels altogether but we just need to be frank and crystal clear about this. No one's perfect but it shouldn't stop us from trying to improve our lot.
To me, Lim Guan Eng comes across as sincere in his wanting to weed out corruption in the Penang State Government.
I may not agree with him totally in certain areas but as far as this issue is concerned, he gets my vote of support!
I believe that eventually those whose hearts are inclined towards the good in Islam will be Muslims one of these days.
Wabillahi Taufik Wal Hidayah.
Wassalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Ta'ala Wabarakatuh.