|Anwar Ibrahim and Lim Guan Eng|
DAP's Secretary-General Lim Guan Eng statement yesterday only goes to show how thick skinned our nation's politicians have come to be and how they will tighten their grip and hang on to whatever earthly power and positions they have come to possess by hook or crook!
Most Malaysian politicians generally are 'Teflon Coated' when it comes to the question of whether they are fit to be in their official positions despite being convicted of criminal offenses like what Anwar Ibrahim, the PKR's de facto Chief has been found guilty of sodomizing his former aide Saiful Bukhari Azlan (pic below)
They are infamous for holding on to their positions with cast iron grips and many would prefer to be deaf, dumb and blind to any calls asking them to relinquish their positions even when found guilty of whatever offenses they have committed knowingly!
Over in Japan, their politicians when found guilty are quick to admit their shortcomings and will resign their posts voluntarily. Some cry hysterically. Some just go on public television and admit their flaws and resign graciously. But not our Malaysian politicians! No sirree!
They'll keep on saying that they are innocent! Sin free! Victims of conspiracy! Bla bla bla!
Those who are wise and rational are clever enough to see through all the media hype and spinning that paid bloggers and other cyber mercenaries dish out trying to turn the damned sinner into a bloody saint!
Now, after all the brouhaha, someone from the West is brave enough to cut through all the bullshit and tell it like it is:
People like Lim Guan Eng will say just about anything to fool the ignorants among Malaysians who still believe everything that the Opposition Pact dishes out every now and then.
Funny thing is that despite all the evidences, every bit of proof that is uncovered and exposed to the general public, there will always be the hordes of opposition supporters who refuse to believe in the truth of the matter.
Call it conditioning or brainwashing, it makes no difference. Human beings have a tendency to not realize when they have been duped or taken for a ride by these political shysters. Such is the power of false belief.
In our case here in Malaysia, most opposition supporters keep believing in what Anwar Ibrahim and the DAP dish out because they are simply disillusioned with what Najib Tun Razak and the BN try to pass off as the answer for all the maladies taking place here in Bolehland.
In my own opinion, if the Opposition really had true capable leaders who would govern us better, they might have had their chance to rule over Malaysia but as it has always been proven, it would just be another set of opportunists who are prone to not walk their talk!
It's like asking robbers to take care of your house in fear of burglars!
Having said that, I do believe that we might have other progressive leaders coming out in the future to serve our nation if they learn not to repeat or continue what the ones caught with their hands in the cookie jar have done!
To those who have yet to learn about the reasons a convicted Member of Parliament gets disqualified to hold on to their official position, come learn about the provisions of Article 48 of our Federal Constitution of Malaysia which I have reproduced here for your attention.
Article 48. Federal Constitution of Malaysia.
48. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, a person is disqualified for being a member of either House of Parliament if :
(a) he is and has been found or declared to be of unsound mind; or
(b) he is an undischarged bankrupt; or
(c) he holds an office of profit; or
(d) having been nominated for election to either House of Parliament or to the Legislative Assembly of a State, or having acted as election agent to a person so nominated, he has failed to lodge any return of election expenses required by law within the time and in the manner so required; or
(e) he has been convicted of an offence by a court of law in the Federation (or, before Malaysia Day, in the territories comprised in the State of Sabah or Sarawak or in Singapore) and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than one year or to a fine of not less than two thousand ringgit and has not received a free pardon (from the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia) ; or
(f) he has voluntarily acquired citizenship of, or exercised rights of citizenship in, any country outside the Federation or has made a declaration of allegiance to any country outside the Federation.
(2) Federal law may impose, for such periods as may be specified thereby, disqualification for membership of either House of Parliament on persons committing offences in connection with elections; and any person who has been convicted of such an offence or has in proceedings relating to an election been proved guilty of an act constituting such an offence, shall be disqualified accordingly for a period so specified.
(3) The disqualification of a person under paragraph (d) or paragraph (e) of Clause (1) may be removed by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and shall, if not so removed, cease at the end of the period of five years beginning with the date on which the return mentioned in the said paragraph (d) was required to be lodged, or, as the case may be, the date on which the person convicted as mentioned in the said paragraph (e) was released from custody or the date on which the fine mentioned in the said paragraph (e) was imposed on such person and a person shall not be disqualified under paragraph (f) of clause (1) by reason only of anything done by him before he became a citizen.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the foregoing provisions of this Article, where a member of either House of Parliament becomes disqualified from continuing to be a member thereof pursuant to paragraph (e) of Clause (1) or under a federal law made in pursuance of Clause (2) -
(a) the disqualification shall take effect upon the expiry of fourteen days from the date on which he was -
(i) convicted and sentenced as specified in the aforesaid paragraph (e); or
(ii) convicted of an offence or proved guilty of an act under a federal law made in pursuance of Clause (2); or
(b) if within the period of fourteen days specified in paragraph (a) an appeal or any other court proceedings is brought in respect of such conviction or sentence,or in respect of being so convicted or proved guilty, as the case may be, the disqualification shall take effect upon the expiry of fourteen days from the date on which such appeal or other court proceedings is disposed of by the court; or
(c) if within the period specified in paragraph (a) or the period after the disposal of the appeal or other court proceedings specified in paragraph (b) there is filed a petition for a pardon, such disqualification shall take effect immediately upon the petition being disposed of.
(5) Clause (4) shall not apply for the purpose nomination, election or appointment of any person to either House of Parliament, for which purpose the disqualification shall take effect immediately upon the occurrence of the event referred to in paragraph (e) of Clause (1) or in Clause (2), as the case may be.
So, till the expiry of 14 days and whether Anwar Ibrahim applies for a full pardon from the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong which is unlikely to happen even if he did ask for it, we just have to let Lim Guan Eng and the rest of the Opposition supporters dream on for their political utopia to take place.
They have started lighting up candles and holding vigils outside the Sg.Buloh Prison where their beloved supreme leader is now incarcerated for a 5 years prison sentence after being convicted for sodomizing Saiful Azlan Bukhari.
If it was only the politicians gathering to show their support for him, we can understand that they do so out of their own vested interests to let Anwar know that they were there for him.
Yet, it's surprising to see tudung clad Malay girls and women also present there to show their support for the convicted sodomite!
Obviously, those who gather there and participate in the unIslamic practice of holding a vigil do not give a rat's ass about the Fatwa issued by JAKIM @ The Department of Islamic Development, Prime Minister's Department forbidding such Acts of Shirik!
One thing for sure, is that many candles retailing shops around the Sg.Buloh Prison are going to be very, very happy with all these candlelight nightly vigils that PKR has promised to hold from now till Anwar Ibrahim is released!
It's a free country maa.. I doubt that JAKIM or JAWI will be launching a nightly pickup of the 'Muslims' taking part in these vigils. Let's just wait and see what else happens?