Part of the Do'a Iftitah

"Verily my solats, my ibadah, my life and my death I surrender to Almighty Allah, Creator and Lord of all the worlds. Never will I associate anything with Him. So am I commanded and I am of those who are Muslims."

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance
Bringing Muslim Bloggers Together

Monday, March 05, 2007

Kuala Kubu Bharu and Frasers Hill Weekend Trip

I have always wanted to explore the rural areas of Selangor and visit Ulu Yam areas, the sleepy town of Kuala Kubu Bharu and drive up to Fraser Hill.

Well, I got my wish this Saturday. Bored of watching mediocre fare on Astro, me and my missus just decided that it's better for us to spend our weekend going on a drive to explore the 'ulu areas' of Selangor.

We just packed up a cooler box and went on our way to the Selangor hinterlands.

We didn't plan on staying overnight but that's exactly what we had to do. Just go with the flow.

We drove up the MRR2 and headed towards Selayang. Past Selayang, we reached the beautiful lakes of Ampangan Batu at Ulu Yam and drove on towards Kuala Kubu Bharu.

This was the first time that either of us had been to the place and we enjoyed such a beautiful vista of green forests and fresh air with manageable traffic.

It was nice to be able to get away from city life and for a day or two forget about the hassles of earning a living and paying bills, the endless bills and bills, bills, bills! Hehehehe...

After driving through countless villages and after making a stopover for lunch at a village 'warung', we continued our journey towards our destination. Kuala Kubu Bharu.
I am a huge fan of old towns and places that have withstood the challenges of time and I reminisce about my life back in the 60s when things were more laid back and easy.

I yearned to check out the old town of Kuala Kubu Bharu for myself and thus our unplanned trip to the place. The place was exactly as I envisioned it to be and it didn't disappoint me and my missus.
We shopped at an old sundry shop with lots of fresh fruits for sale. I took a snap of the largest pineapples I have ever seen being put up for sale at RM3.00 per kilo.

We bought cut fruits being sold for only 50sens per pack!

Talk about time standing still...even the prices were so low!

No wonder that most kampong folks are so flushed with cash!

Their living costs are so low when compared to life in KL and the other big cities.

We enjoyed our stopover at Kuala Kubu Bharu but then I got adventurous and started heading to Fraser Hill, a hill station that both of us have never set foot on before this.

The drive up the forest roads was both a pleasure and also dangerous with deep ravines just waiting at every corner of the winding roads that were quite narrow and cars passing us within inches of each other. Phew....had a few close calls when some lorries passed us!

My missus was so scared stiff every time we were so close to the edge of the hill roads. Thank God, we reached our destination safely and in one piece. Syukur Alhamdulillah!

We saw a few monkeys but didn't stop to take pictures of them for it was drizzling and the roads were a bit dangerous to stop by the side. Not enough spaces to do that. What can we expect from such old roads?
Anyway, we came across many wonderful sights such as many species of wild orchids growing by the roadsides and hillslopes.

The only snag was that because the road was so narrow, I had to stop, park and go run to take a snap of the flower and then rush back to our car for there was always another vehicle following up right behind.

Anyway, since there weren't that many visitors driving up to the hills, I managed to snap a few nice photos of the flora. The wild orchid was just so beautiful to just pass it by.

Another wonderful sight was the endless carpet of ferns covering the hillslopes all the way up to the Fraser Hill.

This is a snap I took of one particular fern that caught my eye.

It's really very, very therapeutic to be out there amidst all the greenery and fresh mountain air.

Every now and then a mist would come flowing past the road and we can smell the fresh air so sweet, so refreshing that I wished I could just be there all year long.

Lots more to share with you in my next post about our journey to Fraser Hill yesterday. C ya!