Part of the Do'a Iftitah

"Verily my solats, my ibadah, my life and my death I surrender to Almighty Allah, Creator and Lord of all the worlds. Never will I associate anything with Him. So am I commanded and I am of those who are Muslims."

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance
Bringing Muslim Bloggers Together

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Despicable - Preferential Treatment of Wedding Guests






Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Last Saturday, I attended a wedding of the 3rd son of a friend at Wangsa Melawati, Hulu Kelang, Selangor.

It is an obligation on the part of a Muslim to attend a wedding feast if he or she is invited.

This is in compliance of an authentic hadith of Rasulullah Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam as narrated by Ibn 'Umar Radhiallahu Anhu :

" When one of you is invited to a wedding feast, he (or she) should attend it."

In another hadith narrated by Abu Huraira Radhiallahu Anhu, the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam is reported to have said:

" The worst kind of food is that at a wedding feast from which those who come (i.e. the poor) are turned away and to which those who refuse to come (i.e. the rich) are invited. If anyone does not accept an invitation, he has disobeyed Allah and His Messenger." (Reported by Muslim)

Now, I am not one who expects much fanfare to be accorded to myself as a person when attending such wedding feasts, etcetera being just a simple kampong man, used to living life as whatever comes along my way.

After moving here to KL, my lifestyle somewhat changed dramatically and I have sort of acquired a taste for the finer things in life as a result of being introduced to all the luxuries of life and fine dining, etcetera.

I have sat together with the cream of the crop so to speak and tasted fine food and refined company which in my wildest dreams I would not have even dared to imagine being able to do so. Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala gives to his servants what they deserve and takes away from us when it is due, whatever trappings of life we have come to enjoy and take for granted.

I am fine with all that and usually, I'd just go with the flow. No worries. Happy go lucky guy that I am.

The recent wedding feast that I attended recently somewhat pissed me off to see the way, the hosts differentiated between their guests and served them on a preferential basis.

It was so bloody obvious that I just couldn't help but decide to take these snapshots to show you what I mean.

First, the wedding party were perched high up above the stage as if they were bluebloods , overlooking their 'subjects'.

Secondly, they had special tables for the VIP's of their clan sitting on cushioned and gold ribboned seats with attending waiters.

Thirdly, all other common 'low class' guests were left to their own on plastic chairs and had to scrounge for their 'buffet' spread which was utterly repulsive to see the kind of food they served up.

If not for the sake of friendship, I'd simply have made an about turn and gone home. I was further incensed to see the way the 'deejay' announce the arrival of certain 'bigshots' and attempts to 'curry favor' in kissing the butt of the 'rich and infamous'.

This is what I mean as a 'despicable preferential treatment of wedding guests' to which if the Prophet Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam was still around, I'd immediately make a complaint to him and voice my grievances to see such blatant abusive manner that the hosts displayed in selectively treating their guests!

I ticked off the deejay and lambasted the wedding committee for the way they handled their guests to which they apologized and said, it's beyond them to do anything as it is the hosts who arranged the way things were run that day.

This is one wedding that I am sure the guests attending especially the ones who felt slighted by such preferential treatment were silently cursing the hosts in their hearts and many left immediately after having their meals, maybe swearing in their hearts not to ever turn up if invited by the same hosts for any other functions.



















Super VVIP 'bluebloods' perched high up on stage.



















VIP's seating on cushioned gold ribboned seats attended to by waiters.



















Ordinary folks left to fend for themselves. Couldn't help but feel sorry for them.

Tch..tch..tch...this is the sorry state of affairs plaguing the hearts and mindsets of those who after becoming a bit affluent forget the humble, humane traditions of the Malays who hail from the kampongs, once they start living a better quality of lifestyle in the cities.

I ask that those of you who are intending to hold any feasts or functions in the future, not to do what this clueless chap did.

Remember that this life is just temporary and those who go around thinking that they are better than the rest, will just find out when they are lying dead in the grave where their just rewards will be awaiting them with the promise of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala coming to manifest itself without fail in the Yaum 'Al Barzakh. Insya Allah.

Treat your guests respectably and equally. Insya Allah, every morsel of food they partake will bring you blessings and be an abolishment of your sins.

Wabillahi Taufeek Wal Hidayah. Wassalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.