Part of the Do'a Iftitah

"Verily my solats, my ibadah, my life and my death I surrender to Almighty Allah, Creator and Lord of all the worlds. Never will I associate anything with Him. So am I commanded and I am of those who are Muslims."

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance

The Muslim Bloggers Alliance
Bringing Muslim Bloggers Together

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Masjid Kapitan Keling - My Favourite Sanctuary in Penang


















Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

How time flies! Seemed like only yesterday that I was back home in Penang briefly to go get my herbal medication for my Diabetes Mellitus condition!

I look forward to seeing my sanctuary in Penang each time I come nearer to my home island and my eyes yearn to catch a glimpse of its stylish minaret and the beautiful black dome.

Used to be painted yellowish gold but since the last restoration work, they have painted it back to black.

Yes, I am talking about the only masjid in Penang which captured my heart and enslaved my soul amongst its towering pillars which has always held up my favourite abode of peace and tranquility in the historic City of Georgetown, Penang Island- the Masjid Kapitan Keling.


















This is myself during the times when I was living in Penang, carrying out interactive face to face Dakwah Walkabouts with our team from the Islamic Centre based at Masjid Kapitan Keling.

Even today, whenever I return home to Penang, I'd take the opportunity to reach out to the visiting tourists and share with them about Islam.

This is my base in Penang. The blessed mosque from where me and my friends used to go out on our Dakwah Walkabouts along the streets of Georgetown, especially along Chulia Street, home of backpackers and pubs , the place where tourists congregate and vice flourishes without any hindrance from the powers that be.


















Photo above was taken when a fellow Da'ee Haji Abdurrahman from England joined us in our dakwah activities back then. Looking on with the big bushy beard and white skullcap is one of my closest buddies , Haji Mohamad Yassin, a tough guy and Italiano speaking Sufi mureed and fellow Da'ee.

Between them wearing the green skullcap is Brother Mohamad Ali, a fellow activist. The tourist was from Europe and was very interested to learn more about Islam. May Allah SWT guide him. Ameen.


















This is an early photo taken of us , founders of the Islamic Propagation Centre International which is now known as the Islamic Propagation Society International with Brother Haji Kamarudin Santanasamy Abdullah, a former Roman Catholic pastor wannabe running the centre today.

























This is the minaret tower structure with its base which we turned into the fine Islamic Centre it is today minus the signboard for the building is gazetted as a National Monument and thus needs to be kept pristine and preserved for the future generations to come.




















I was lucky to meet one of my closest friends and Ustaz, the current Imam of Masjid Kapitan Keling, Ustaz Haji Abdul Latif who is definitely getting skinnier by the day.

When I enquired as to whether it is due to any sickness , he replied in the negative.

Ustaz Latif said that maybe it is due to the fact that he has been fasting every other day for quite some time.




















This is the magnificient 'mimbar' or pulpit of the Masjid Kapitan Keling from where the Khatib will read out his sermon to the congregation.

It has been like that ever since I was small and the whole structure looks absolutely well preserved and kept in good condition. Alhamdulillah!



















The interior of the dome has been beautified and restored back to its original condition.




















This is the picture that usually appears in many postcards all over the world showing the magnificient architecture of the mosque which is my topmost favourite place in my home island.




















This is the sight that I saw every working day when I was with Berkat Jewellers , exactly opposite to the mosque at Pitt Street, now changed to Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, 10200, Georgetown, Penang.




















Another lovely shot of my favourite masjid. I never tire of admiring the masjid every second that I get !

























I was happy to see this notice board which I authored the contents remaining there at the entrance of the mosque to this day.

Alhamdulillah. It sure brings back memories when I was day in day out at the IPCI with my buddies Kamaruddin and Yassin.




















I was surprised to see the emergence of this sight. This 2 centuries over old cemetery had been hidden away in the old buildings which had been demolished to expose the old graves of the founding fathers of the Indian Muslim community in the times of Captain Sir Francis Light and the era of the Indian Muslim Kapitan Keling Cauder Mohideen, a business tycoon back then.




















I hope that the present day Penangites will preserve such ancient relics well and take care of the heritage site.

Demolishing the past is easy but bringing it back is almost impossible, so, treasure our heritage before it is all gone.

I look forward to being in the comfort and tranquility of my beloved mosque next month.

Insya Allah. May my sanctuary be protected from falling into ruin by the administrative commitee and concerned Muslims of Penang. Ameen Ya Rabbal Alameen.

1st Day of Ramadan 1428 Hijrah.