Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.
Dear Fellow Malaysians,
I refer to a Hadith Qudsi related by Tirmidhi where Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala tells us @ Mankind:
- "O Children of Adam, if you ask for forgiveness from Me, I will forgive you!
- I won't take into account the magnitude of the amount of your sins!
- O Children of Adam, even if you were to come to Me with your sins amounting to fill up the space between the Earth and the sky, I will forgive you!
- O Children of Adam, if you were to come to me bearing your sins that fill up the entire Earth, then you ask Me for Forgiveness and you do not associate any other with Me in your worship, then I will come to you with Forgiveness equal to the number of your sins!"
The question is, are we all sin free?
Who amongst us is so squeaky clean and free of any wrong doing?
I am sure that there will be none.
Chances are that if we were to use the barometer of innocence as a measure, the entire Malaysian Cabinet plus all other governments of the world would have to quit their positions today!
Chua Soi Lek is an adulterer who confessed his sins publicly and is responsible enough to admit his guilt to the nation and the whole wide world unlike many others who would have feigned innocence and prolonged the matter unnecessarily.
As it is, the nation is already reeling from many untoward incidents of the past year from the confrontations between the BN Government's security apparatus and the opposing parties from both the Opposition, NGO's and an ethnic group's movement to seek compensation from a former Colonial power and waging a war against UMNO, the main ruling political party from the governing coalition government.
Although the BN Government under Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi has somewhat succeeded in diffusing the tensions and averted another volatile confrontation from HINDRAF @ the Hindu Rights Action Force which was refused registration and deemed an illegal organization by arresting 5 of their leaders and holding them in detention at Kamunting under the ISA @ Internal Security Act, underlying tensions from the HINDRAF supporters are still smoldering and could break out at the slightest provocation or untoward incidents.
In this early part of 2008 CE, we are witnessing a rare incidence where a Malaysian senior politician from one of the major ruling parties has bravely admitted his mistakes and taken responsibility for his slip up by doing the honorable thing - tendering his resignation from all government and party positions that he has come to hold after striving all his life to reach his pinnacle of self achievements.
His downfall came out of the release and wide distribution of an act of his adultery with his girlfriend in a hotel room which was rigged to capture his tryst in film secretly and now after a couple of months turned into the devastating 'moral' axe which has chopped down his political climb up the rungs of power in the nation.
Many a politician has fallen from grace as a result of such a sex scandal. Among the notable ones are :
- the former Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker D.P. Vijandran who was filmed secretly having sex with an MIC Wanita leader and hounded to oblivion by the DAP Lion of the Malaysian Courts, Lawyer Karpal Singh.
- Former Malaccan Chief Minister Abdul Rahim Tamby Chik who got plastered for indulging his libido with an underaged Malay girl.
- PAS 'machine gun mouthed' kick ass Mohamad Sabu who was caught committing khalwat with a lady who was not his wife but that of another PAS member but later absolved by the Syariah Court of the charge.
- Former Deputy Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim who was probably the top most politician to be tarred and feathered by Dr.Mahathir Mohamad, the nation's former Prime Minister who cut down his former protege in the vilest manner possible and again using the sexual misconduct ticket, charging the former ABIM President and an icon of the Malaysian Islamic Renaissance movement's figurehead in the most dishonorable charge of being a sodomite, a homosexual and an adulterer to boot, destroying Anwar's reputation and marring his chances of ever leading this nation as the Prime Minister. Although Anwar has since been released from jail and had the other charges dropped, the damage to his person has been done and his struggle to cleanse his name continues to this day.
- Many other rising political stars have had their brilliance diminished and their careers cut short as a result of being implicated in sex scandals.
The damage will be worse when the politician in question is known to be a figure advocating high moral integrity and a role model for the religious ones amongst society.
Mankind tends to adopt the 'holier than thou attitude' when judging others but fail to realize our own faults especially when it concerns our individual weaknesses for affairs of the heart and liaisons with the opposite sex.
That's the reason why the Holy Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam reminded his Companions after successfully defeating the Kaffir Quraisyh in the Battle of Badr that they now face a greater war!
When asked by his Companions as to who else are the victorious Muslims going to wage war against, the Blessed Messenger Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihi Wassallam answered that is is against their own 'nafs' @ desires!
So, in Chua Soi Lek's case, let's be rational in our approach to this development in the political arena of our nation. We aren't exactly shining beacons of moral integrity on our own. Allah the Almighty knows us best and is fully aware of all that we did, are doing and will do to the last second of our temporal life here on Earth.
Malaysiakini has been very helpful in sharing the breaking news with us about such developments and because of that, the mainstream media have no choice but to tag along with revealing the real deal about the case.
Those who benefit from Chua Soi Lek's political demise ought not gloat over his misfortune. He or she has to remember that what goes around comes around in this nation's political circus.
As to who gets to be the clown and who is the ringmaster is always a matter of who gets screwed next in the nitty, gritty world of political aspirations and upheavals.
It's curtains now for Chua Soi Lek and a dramatic entrance awaiting his replacement but the dangers of political sellouts and backstabbing par excellence remains to be experienced by each and every one who aims for the high seats of power in our country where the trappings of power, position, wealth, women and unlimited income continues to be the magnet that draws everyone to their ultimate end either as successful at the top of the heap or be doomed to a lifetime of ridicule and contempt.
Who's it gonna be now? Ong Tee Keat or Donald Lim to be our next Health Minister?
From track records, it ain't a healthy position to vie for in reality. Those who end up being there are known to suffer a terminal disease as far as their political careers are concerned.
Is it the MCA's good fortunes or a bloody jinx to get that portfolio in the first place?
Ong Ka Ting must be having a major migraine by now. Poor fellow. Can't even go for a massage eh Taikor?
Who knows what sinister party has in store for you? Chua Soi Lek got plastered because of a grainy video.
Current technologies in the audio-visual field promises HD results! Damn!!! Must be pretty scary being an MCA politician nowadays.
One just can't be too sure of not ending up as the next major scandal star!